Interested in the pre-athletic training pathway? Please let us know by completing the interest form.
Your first steps
- Become a Bear: Apply to Missouri State.
- Before completing 60 credit hours, contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center to declare or change your major to sports medicine.
Sports Medicine (Comprehensive)
The comprehensive major in Sports Medicine is designed to:
- Provide future healthcare providers with a strong foundation of basic science knowledge and experiential understanding of healthcare.
- Provide a foundation for those who wish to progress into professional healthcare programs or the workforce.
- Provide a pathway for early admissions into the Master of Athletic Training program.
The Sports Medicine program offers two pathways for students (traditional and pre-athletic training). The pre-athletic training path positions students to be eligible to earn a Master of Athletic Training degree in as few as five years. Students interested in the pre-athletic training (AT) option, must complete the Pre-AT Interest Form. The traditional pathway allows students to explore various sports medicine and health care fields while completing a basic science education paired with specific pre-requisite courses for professional healthcare programs.
Program admission and progression for pre-athletic training pathway
Student interested in the pre-AT pathway must officially declare the major, complete the Pre-AT interest form, and meet with a program advisor. In order to successfully progress through this pathway, students are required to remain eligible for the required clinical experiences. Eligibility criteria for clinical experiences include:
- Students must earn a B or better in all ATC courses and a C- or higher in all MAT pre-admission required courses.
- Students must pass a drug test and a background check.
- Students must provide evidence of current Emergency Cardiac Care (ECC) certification at the Basic Life Support/Professional Rescuer level or beyond.
- Students must have current documentation of completed HIPAA and FERPA training on file with the department.
- Students must have documentation of current immunizations and be in good health.
Program admission and progression for traditional pathway
Students not interested in the pre-AT pathway must officially declare the major and meet with a college or program advisor to review career goals and develop their 4th year of the Sports Medicine curriculum based on their career interest and/or to strengthen their application to the MAT upon completion of the bachelor’s degree.
Students selected for the program must complete all required coursework and clinical requirements. Those requirements include the following:
Major Requirements (53 hours):
- Specific General Education Requirements:
- Related requirements: DTN 240(3), DTN 430(3), BMS 307(4), 308(4), 567(4); PSY 200(3); IPE 375(3), IPE 576(3).
- Sports Medicine requirements: ATC 220(1), 221(2), 225(4), 332(2), 413(3), 444(4).
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of ATC 413(3).